Friday, October 23, 2015

Weekly "What I Wore"


Since this is my first 'fashion post' (if you can even call it that), I quickly just want to give a little background on my style and what goes through my mind when I'm picking out clothes to wear. 



* Please excuse the picture quality as I master the stick-my-arm-out-
awkwardly-to-try-to-get-my-whole-outfit-in selfie * 
How do people do this?!




First: All the posts from this week are my office attire.
Truthfully, I decided to feature these outfits because when I get home it's 'real' clothes off and gym clothes/sweatpants on. Literally in a matter of minutes. Excluding weekends, my cute clothes don't really exist. Sorry not sorry. The dress code at Coke is Business Casual, so you'll notice I play around with both ends of the spectrum - more business-y & a little less business.  

Second: I'm fashionably frugal.
It takes A LOT for me to spend a hunk of change on clothes.  I sort of challenge myself to find designer inspired pieces at non-designer prices, but honestly who has the time to sort through a million things at Marshalls or TJ Maxx? If something catches my eye right off the bat? I'll consider. If I have to search through 27 racks to find a long sleeve shirt? Count me out. I'm also living on one income, in my own townhouse, so sometimes (only sometimes) the power bill is more important than that new dress. I'm all about looking nice without breaking the bank.

Third: My style is simple...
Generally I wear a lot of solid, structured, conservative pieces that could be considered classics. I don't over accessorize, but you also won't see me without at least one bracelet on. I'll do a necklace or earrings, never both. Fortunately I've been the same size since high school (I know... giving myself a high five, woo!) so I'm able to use older pieces and remix to match newer trends. I find myself looking to Pinterest for inspiration and will occasionally model an outfit off of a pin. Maybe I'll write my next blog post on 'Pin-spirations"!

Fourth: ... but I'm learning to follow the "3rd piece" rule.
I actually learned this trick from the owner and curator of the all-encompassing shopping destination Elsa Fine, Jordan Dollard. Jordan is a fellow Mountaineer and a fashion major that recently kick-started Elsa Fine. She generously took the time a couple weeks ago to teach a group of girls about fall fashion, mixing patterns and style secrets. The 3rd Piece rule, she says, is adding that extra item to pull the whole outfit together. Maybe a belt, maybe a scarf, vest or hat.  

Fifth (and last): Ain't nobody got time fa' dat.
I'm the worst morning person in the history of mornings. I wait until the very last minute (after hitting the snooze button 3 times each on my 4 alarms) to get out of bed. Instead of picking out my outfits and packing my lunches the night before, I wait until the next morning and find myself running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Really, the dog chases me around. It's hilarious... until I trip over him. I've walked out of the house with two different shoes on. I've accidentally used dog shampoo in the shower instead of mine. Anyway, you get the point that I need outfits that I can throw together but still look like I spent all morning getting ready


... LET'S ROLL! 


OOTD Monday

This outfit is usually one of my go-to's. It's simple yet pulled together with the necklace and leopard shoes. The sweater is lightweight, colorful and super comfy so I don't feel uncomfortable all day at work. You'll see me pull these black slacks into a lot of my work outfits.


 Kohl's Black Dress Pants  // Old Navy Mint Scoop Neck Sweater // Target Leopard Odell Ballet Flats // Burlington Coat Factory Mint and Gold Necklace // Rhinestone Bangle Bracelet (gift) (similar HERE) //



OOTD Tuesday

Tuesday was super chilly in the morning so I layered a bright scarf over an otherwise not so bright outfit. The scarf isn't actually infinity, but I tucked it to fake the appearance. The skirt is a mix of cotton and spandex so it's figure-flattering and balanced out the boyish structure of the black sweater. (No seriously, it's boyish because I stole it from an ex boyfriend... my bad).




  Old Navy Striped Pencil Skirt // JCrew Softspun Black Sweater // Forever 21 Black Wedges (similar HERE) // Black Stone Flower Stud Earrings (similar HERE) // Kohls 'Faith' Sterling Silver Ring // Xhilaration Coral Knit Scarf // Leaf Tassel Chain Necklace 





OOTD Wednesday

I loved Wednesday's outfit. I felt it had just the right amount of "business" but was fun with the added pops of raspberry color. I think the belt really pulled it all together and I can't get enough of these flats with the adorable black polka dots. 




 Gap Khaki Pants (found at Goodwill)  // Marshalls Long Sleeve Polka-Dot Blouse (similar HERE) // Old Navy Faux-Suede Smoking Flats // Raspberry Belt (off a Banana Republic Dress) // Gold Chain Link Bracelet (similar HERE) // Nike Black FitBit Flex // Needle and Trend Initial Monogram Sticker 



OOTD Thursday

I'm obsessed with the color of this shirt - it's perfect for fall and pretty much goes with anything. I paired it with a neutral skirt, but gave it my own flair with the leopard belt and accessories. I also liked how I could easily take it from cold mornings to warm afternoons since the shirt is long-sleeved.








 Express Gray Pencil Skirt (found at Goodwill) // Old Navy Burgundy Shirt (similar HERE) // Rack Room Nude Suede Wedges // Apt 9 Leopard Belt // Alex & Ani Pittsburgh Steelers Charm Bracelet (discontinued - but similar HERE) // Red Elephant Charm Bracelet // Gold Dangle Earrings 


For Warmer Option: Faded Glory Long Cream Open Cardigan (similar HERE) // Joe Boxer Tan Scarf (similar HERE)




OOTD Friday

YES! It's casual Friday which means we're allowed to wear jeans to the office. If anyone ever told you you're not allowed to wear white after labor day - they're wrong. White has been dubbed a neutral and these skinny jeans paired with the oatmeal sweater, dark brown boots and brown belt are quickly becoming a Fall staple.







Gap V-Neck Pullover Sweater in Oatmeal // Merona Leather Band Watch // Gold Rings (Grandma's) // White Skinny Jeans // Brown Ankle Boots (black version HERE) // Target Gold Teardrop Earrings (silver version HERE)// Brown Braided Belt (similar HERE) // Gold Bangle Bracelet // 
Gel Nails OPI "I Knead Sour-dough"


Thanks for checking out today's post on What I Wore - Office Edition. 
I hope some of these outfits gave you ladies a little inspiration on how to play with what you already have in your professional closets. Check back soon for more posts like these as I learn more about fashion and what works for me & my style.