Monday, November 16, 2015

Day 1: Blogging Challenge


Day One: Your current relationship, if single discuss how single life is.


Ugh, do I have to? I wanted this blog to get a little more personal *swallows lump in throat*, so uh, here goes nothing. 

It took me a little while to think about how I wanted to answer this question and I realize it could go one of two ways;

  1. I could go the "woe is me" direction and let the world think being single is the worst thing in the world. Sure, it kinda sucks 7th, yes 7th, wheeling sometimes but it's better than 9th, right? or;
  2. I could positively reflect on my past relationships and focus on how I'm working to better myself and spend this time making myself happy.



My current relationship is newly single and truthfully it hasn't been easy. I'm 25, been out of college for a few years and surrounded by coupled / married friends. For me, the hardest part about ending a relationship is the change in your daily routine. But I also think it's the best part. In some relationships (not all!) you start doing things because you're "used to them" - you hit the snooze button 3 times, finally wake up, take the dog out (or ask him to do it because you don't want to get out of bed), feed the dog, make breakfast, brush your teeth, shower, go to work, come home from work, hit the gym, make dinner, plan for tomorrow, watch Netflix, go to sleep. REPEAT. REPEAT. REPEAT. While all of those things aren't bad per say, it's really nice to have the flexibility to do your own thing - eat what you want to eat, get out of bed when you want to get out of bed (or when the dog is pacing because he has to pee so bad - sorry, Boone) and go where you want to go. I'm kind of enjoying this new found freedom! 


There are a couple things I think single females should do that I want to share with you. 
  1. Start a new hobby. Take up knitting or hand lettering. Learn how to change a tire. It's good to challenge yourself and it helps pass the time too.
  2. Travel. It doesn't have to be cross-country. Just get out and explore. Go check out the town next to yours for a day trip. 
  3. Redecorate. Those old pictures of you guys have to come down anyway, why not put up a new gallery wall behind the couch instead?
  4. Try a new look. Cut your hair, color your hair, wear an edgy outfit. Change it up! You have no one to impress but yourself.
  5. Save your money. Or don't. You're only worrying about your finances so throw a couple hundo towards your school loans... or buy a Michael Kors bag. Your choice obviously.
  6. Make a list. Things you want to work on, things you think you're good at. It might help you in your next relationship, it might not. 
  7. Enjoy being single. Connect with girlfriends. Date. Stay out late. Kiss a random boy. Let loose and have fun!


There are a couple things I have learned from past relationships that I want to share with you. 
  1. It's okay to be wrong. No one wants to be, but news flash, you're not omniscient. Learn from your mistakes and apologize. 
  2. It's okay to be upset about something trivial. Just don't dwell on it. Try to explain why you feel the way you do so s(he) understands better.
  3. Don't stress about the little things. Pull an Elsa and just "Let it goooo". If it's not important, don't let it ruin your day. 
  4. Ask for help when you need it. Can't get the lid off the jar? Ask him. He'll appreciate being needed.
  5. Fight for what you believe in. If it means a lot to you, don't give up. Stay level-headed but strong and explain your side. 
  6. Laugh. A lot. Laughter is truly the best medicine. Got in a fight over shoes in the middle of the floor? Crack a joke and move on. 


I'm certainly not one to give relationship advice but I do believe that life is all about perspective.  
Happiness is what you make it
I'm making the most out of my currently single status and if the time comes for another relationship, I'll make the most of that too. 
Single ladies; keep your heads up. Life isn't that bad, I promise. 



Day 1, complete. That was little tough to write but I'm glad I did and I'm glad you stuck around. Bring it on, Day 2.