Thursday, November 19, 2015

Day 4: Blogging Challenge




Day Four: Your views on religion.



So this post isn't quite on the humorous side like my normal entries - but worth a read nonetheless.

As with most things in my life right now, I am undecided. I was baptized as a baby into the Presbyterian denomination and grew up going to church on Sundays with my family. Back then you wore your Sunday best and you were quiet and you sang the hymns that were slow and meaningful. When I was in 8th grade, I was confirmed, again Presbyterian, and continued to go to church with my family until my parents split in late 2004. Then college happened and boyfriends that weren't religious and then more excuses. I moved back home to Charlotte after college and attended occasionally - mostly Easter or Christmas services. Since then I've attended a few new places including Elevation Church and discovered you can in fact wear jeans to church and scream at the top of your lungs during sermons. (Who would have thought?)

While Elevation and so many other churches have great services and leaders, welcoming congregations and incredible connections to God, I still wanted to find Him on my own. I didn't want to be told that it was "the right thing to do" or "if you don't, bad things will happen to you" or "everything is happening because of Him". While some of that might hold true, I also believe that hard work gets you places and if you want to make it happen you will. 

For now, I'm still searching for my own connection. Not necessarily something good (or bad) to happen, just something. It may be to the Earth itself, or with Him or maybe a different higher being. Regardless, I don't feel that religion should be discriminated against and I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post. These are strictly my beliefs and I didn't think it was fair to skip a question on this challenge, because that's what it is... a challenge. 



Onto Day 5 ....