I go through banana phases. Sorry, that sounds kinda weird but it's true. I'll want a banana for breakfast every morning for a week, then I'll want it with peanut butter the next week, then I'll want the Banana Sushi I referenced in my Clean Eating - Snack Edition post (#yum). Then I'll want nothing to do with them. Last week was one of those weeks. I had an entire bunch of bananas that were way past ripe and nearing throw-out time.
Then I remembered that I don't have to be wasteful and can use up those gross, squishy naners in this amazingly moist, flavorful banana bread recipe! It's so simple and only requires a few ingredients. My mom used to make this recipe growing up and has since passed the torch... now i'll pass it to you!
Prep: 15 min | Cook: 1 hr 5 min | Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick - softened)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
Approximately 4 medium overripe bananas (about 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or more depending on preference)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Use cooking spray to grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (I use coconut oil here, but my mom just uses canola oil).
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs. Mash bananas (I find this easiest with a fork) and add to the brown sugar and butter mix. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture, add chopped walnuts, then stir just enough to combine. Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 - 65 minutes (Test? Insert a toothpick into the middle - if it comes out clean, you're good to go)
- Let bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes while sitting on a cooling rack, then use a knife to run along the sides and remove bread from pan.
- Slice into desired thickness and enjoy! - I like to add a bit of butter spread to mine but it's completely optional.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do - it might not be the healthiest, but it sure is the tastiest! If you make it, be sure to share your feedback :)