Monday, December 07, 2015

Bananas for Banana Bread






I go through banana phases. Sorry, that sounds kinda weird but it's true. I'll want a banana for breakfast every morning for a week, then I'll want it with peanut butter the next week, then I'll want the Banana Sushi I referenced in my Clean Eating - Snack Edition post (#yum). Then I'll want nothing to do with them. Last week was one of those weeks. I had an entire bunch of bananas that were way past ripe and nearing throw-out time. 

Then I remembered that I don't have to be wasteful and can use up those gross, squishy naners in this amazingly moist, flavorful banana bread recipe! It's so simple and only requires a few ingredients. My mom used to make this recipe growing up and has since passed the torch... now i'll pass it to you! 


_________________________________________________________________________________


Prep: 15 min |  Cook: 1 hr 5 min | Ready In: 1 hr 20 min


Ingredients


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/2 cup butter (1 stick - softened)
3/4 cup light brown sugar 
2 eggs, beaten
Approximately 4 medium overripe bananas (about 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or more depending on preference) 

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Use cooking spray to grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (I use coconut oil here, but my mom just uses canola oil). 
  2. In a large bowl mix the flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs. Mash bananas (I find this easiest with a fork) and add to the brown sugar and butter mix. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture, add chopped walnuts, then stir just enough to combine. Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 - 65 minutes (Test? Insert a toothpick into the middle - if it comes out clean, you're good to go)
  4. Let bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes while sitting on a cooling rack, then use a knife to run along the sides and remove bread from pan.
  5. Slice into desired thickness and enjoy! - I like to add a bit of butter spread to mine but it's completely optional. 

_________________________________________________________________________________


I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do - it might not be the healthiest, but it sure is the tastiest! If you make it, be sure to share your feedback :)