Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Clean Eating - Breakfast Edition


______________________________________________________________________________


A great starting point: CLEAN EATING - SNACK EDITION 

______________________________________________________________________________

I started to share my love for clean eating via the Snack Edition and today I want to share with you my favorite BREAKFAST OPTIONS for clean eating. 

I don't have a lot of time in the mornings. Between turning the alarm off 4 times (whoops), to taking the dog out, to attempting to curl my hair and smudge some makeup on, I'm literally the worst morning person. I need quickon-the-gohealthy breakfasts that will keep me fueled until I get hungry again around 10am. No seriously, my stomach YELLS at me if I don't eat like every two hours. 

Here's how a typical day of eating works for me;




TOP 10 Clean Eating Breakfasts 


1. Quinoa Omelette Bites



via the-girl-who-ate-everything.com


Made in a muffin tin and easily prepared ahead of time, these bites are super tasty and packed with protein. The recipe calls for a mini-muffin tin, but I just use a regular sized pan. You can add or take away ingredients, but my favorite is just what the recipe calls for ... plus a dab of Sriracha on top for an extra kick of flavor.


2. Breakfast Tostada




This recipe uses a flour tortilla but to keep it clean I sub for whole wheat. You can use any kind of egg on this (I prefer over easy) but I've also done scrambled and fried. If you're feeling crazy nutritious, swap out the spinach for some softened kale! To make this on-the-go, I just put it in a Ziplock® container and slightly re-heat at the office, but it is a bit better fresh. For an even more on-the-go option, don't bake the tortilla but leave fresh and roll up with scrambled eggs to make a portable wrap. 


3. Skinny Omelette Wrap

















Eggs are cooked super thin and stuffed with an unimaginable amount of healthy fillings - try mixed salad greens, feta cheese and pesto like this recipe, or swap for spinach, mixed peppers and salsa for a southwest feel. Super light compared to normal omelettes but definitely just as filling.



4. Southwest Scrambled Egg Wrap





This is my twice-a-week breakfast, literally. It's packed with flavor, it's filling and portable. I switch it up with one full egg and one egg white and sometimes I'll add a piece of lean turkey for extra protein. I also like extra avocado but it's because I'm obsessed with avocado. This wrap is seriously SO good.



5. Strawberry Banana Protein Muffins






































So easy to make and uses whole wheat flour, protein powder, fresh fruit and ZERO artificial sweeteners, this breakfast can be made ahead of time and ready to eat all week. Swap out the strawberries for another fruit like raspberries or blueberries to change it up. 


6. Bowl of Doom




The name of this is hilariously awesome and it's equally as delicious. One of my favorite breakfasts to prep the night before (after I eat half a sweet potato with dinner - use the other half!) and throw in a Tupperware container. The recipe calls for ground beef, but I use 94% ground lean turkey instead to keep my fat intake low and my protein high. YUM.



7. PB & B Smoothie




A super quick breakfast idea for when you really have to fly out the door. This specific recipe calls for chocolate whey protein, but I prefer vanilla (not as sweet in the mornings). I also use frozen banana slices instead of ice cubes to make the texture smoother and less watered down by the time I drink it all. So filling & perfect for kick-starting the day or even as a pre-workout meal. 



8. Apple Pie Oatmeal


It's like sneaking in dessert for breakfast. It's hearty, tasty and basically Fall in a bowl. This recipe doesn't call for a specific type of apple, but i'm a sucker for Honeycrisp (+ the honey? HELLO, HEAVEN). I think it tastes just as great reheated, so make a big batch at the beginning of the week.




9. Berry English Muffin



Salty peanut butter & sweet strawberries are a match made in heaven for me. The recipe calls for Eziekiel bread, but I just use whole wheat english muffins instead, #broke. Hint: Toast the english muffin to make the peanut butter all warm and melty :)



10. Spinach Quinoa Egg Scramble



Mixing up traditional scrambled eggs with spinach and pre-cooked quinoa is a great way to use leftovers AND start your morning on a high note. The recipe says it packs in 19.6 grams of protein per serving... I call that awesome gym fuel. 




WOO - there you have it! 10 of my favorite Clean Eating Breakfast options. All are filling, healthy, and easily portable for on-the-go mornings. 
No more excuses ... save all the bad foods for the holidays :)