Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Tipsy Paintbrush





So aside from being one of the catchiest names is the history of business, this place is THE BOMB. No, this post is not sponsored. But if you live in Charlotte or anywhere near it I'm going to tell you to go anyway. 

Think, ALCOHOL + INSTRUCTOR-LED CANVAS PAINTING = WINNING 
On a serious note, why didn't I think of that?

I surprised my mom with a "Mommy and Me" Valentine's Date (I used to ask for "mommy and me" days in elementary school when I "wasn't feeling well", so I thought it'd be fun to call it the same thing now that I'm nearly 26 years old). I've been wanting to do this outing for a while now but the cost is just a bit more than what I am willing to pay given my lack of artistic skills. Lucky me, Groupon featured a 50% off coupon ($35 for 2 people for a 2-hour class) and I swiped that baby right up. 

The Tipsy Paintbrush is only about 20 minutes from my house and located on the main road in Matthews, NC. It's a tiny, cute, little storefront but walk inside and it has more character than most museums. I kid you not, everything is covered in paint. To the point where I feel bad for the next tenant that buys the place if (god forbid) it ever leaves Matthews. Painted canvases are displayed on the walls, tables and floor. Paintbrushes are mixed in with bottle openers. Wine glasses have paint flecks on them. I mean, just look at the picture above.


Fast forward 2 hours and half a bottle of Prosecco later...






Mom and I's final masterpieces were, well, far from masterpieces. Somehow we weren't covered in paint and our canvas' sort of resembled wine glasses. Mom decided to make her colors darker to match the purple accents in her living room, I went the more traditional route. The instructor was funny, bubbly and kept trying to get us drunk reminding us this was a FUN event and not to stress about what our painting looked like. By the end of the night, we shared a lot of laughs and left with something we'd be proud to hang on the wall at home ... in the spare bedroom :)


I've already made plans to go back again with a fellow creative/blogging girlfriend of mine.
Have you ever been to something similar to The Tipsy Paintbrush?