Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Playing Catch Up

Y'all. It's already nearing the end of March. Um, WHAT?! When people talk about March Madness, I immediately think of the madness this March has brought, nevermind the Tarheels *hopefully* making it to the Final Four. So;


Q: "What has Alyssa been up to since February?"

A: EVERYTHING.





Grandfather Mountain / Boone, NC


Myself, my friend Leslie (over at With a Side of Chocolate), her hubby (Christian), and my guy decided on a spontaneous weekend trip to Boone, NC at the end of February. The earth was finally starting to awaken - the snow melting and the air warming. Leslie was up in Boone for a work recruiting trip during the week and asked if we wanted to join Saturday and Sunday.... the obvious answer was "DUH". 


Adventure


After a rather unsuccessful attempt to visit Grandfather Mountain on Saturday (the main bridge was closed due to ice), we ventured out onto the Blue Ridge Parkway instead. Man, I'll tell you what, those views NEVER get old. I remember back in college driving 15 minutes off campus and doing my homework on a grassy area overlooking just miles and miles of mountains. 

Sunday we attempted Grandfather again (success!) and it was well worth the wait. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky, Carolina blues as far as the eye could see. If you haven't been to Grandfather yet, I highly recommend it. It's accessible to people of all ages with just a short (extremely high) walk over a (swinging, creaking) bridge. But not exactly for the faint of heart. Just look at these views! 

Side Note: The picture at the top of this post is also from Grandfather Mountain






Food 


This isn't even close to everything we ate (#fatties). Add in a Buffalo Chicken Wrap from Macados, a Pulled Pork Platter with Cole Slaw, Hushpuppies, French Fries and Fried Okra from Woodlands, donuts from Krispy Kreme and the hotel continental breakfast and I consumed enough calories for an entire week.


Top: Wolfies, Italian Sub on Wheat // Bottom Left: Los Arcoiris, ACP 
Bottom Right: Appalachian Mountain Brewery, IPA


Orlando, FL


I traveled to Orlando over my birthday for a 3-day company meeting. Not exactly how I expected to spend my 26th, but hey, it all worked out... other than having to go through Orlando security TWICE. I'll save that story for another day. 

While in Orlando, we literally spent 99% of the day in a conference room discussing our team's 2017 goals. I'll spare you all the boring details, but just know I saw the outside of that hotel for a collective 2 hours. #TotalBummer

On a more positive note, the meeting ended with an in-person Q&A session with ALEX MORGAN! Yes, THE ALEX MORGAN from the USA Women's Soccer Team. Anyone want to take a guess on how jealous my 21 year-old brother was? Hint: The picture I sent him got an "I hate you" in return.



Birthday Celebrations 


During the madness of March, I also managed to squeeze in my 26th birthday on Thursday the 10th. Although to be completely honest, it nearly lasted a full week and I can't say I hate it!

 Sunday 3/6: 
Dinner @ Mom's - Cookout style & complete with a homemade cookie cake

Monday 3/7:
Dinner at Block & Grinder: Imagine butcher shop by day, restaurant by night. AKA the most amaaazzing Gorgonzola Topped 8oz Filet I've ever had in my life.

Thursday 3/10:
Nighttime team bonding activity at Universal City Walk in FL. My boss bought Margarita slushies for everyone and did a HBD toast.

Friday 3/11:
Home from Orlando and straight to sushi at Ru San's. I'm a lucky gal, I must say.

Saturday 3/12:
Typical Saturday craft brewery crawling. The usual + additional friends.

Sunday 3/13:
Girls brunch @ Heist Brewery including mimosas and all-you-can-eat buffets.








I hope everyone had an amazing March - one full of St. Patty's celebrations too! Keep your eyes out for future posts on birthdays, my duties as a Maid of Honor and more, coming soon!