Monday, October 17, 2016

Weekly Food Round-up │ Week of Oct 10

The weather is finally getting chilly, I'm knocking the dust off my sweaters and quite literally off my boots (those things were covered) and we're enjoying fall nights by the patio fire pit. I'm feeling a s'mores sesh one night this weekend.

It's Week 3 of my Weekly Food Round-up and I haven't repeated a meal yet. Anyone wanna start taking bets on how long that will last? Side note; taking all these food pictures makes me realize I should probably invest in a decent camera, I'm bound to drop my iPhone in some soup or sauce eventually. 

Find last week's meals here.
Find Week 1 meals here.









This Week



Monday │Korean Beef & Quinoa



Original Recipe found at Smile Sandwich

What makes a better food stage than Tupperware containers? I mean, it really makes the colors of this dish pop! Nottttt. That's because Monday's dinner was actually made on Sunday night. The Carolina Panthers were at home for Monday Night Football (what a horrible game) so I picked a meal that could reheat well and could be taken on the run if we were extra time-crunched.

Both Kevin and I get off work at 5pm, but when you account for traffic both leaving uptown and heading uptown, PLUS tailgate time, we needed a quick, healthy meal that I could pop in the microwave. Plus, we needed something to absorb those local IPA's we always drink at the games.

This recipe is super simple with minimal ingredients and tons of flavor. I substituted the ground beef for 94% Fat Free Ground Turkey (on sale for $2.99 at Food Lion) and next time might consider adding broccoli for more substance. I made extra quinoa on Sunday night so I could use it for this and for Tuesday's dinner. Leftover green onion from last week's Sesame Chicken Potstickers topped it off. It's a pretty filling meal so we actually ate the rest of it for a midnight snack after the game.



Tuesday │ Viva Chicken Copycat Quinoa Stuffed Avocado




Cocktails and Creatives Original Recipe found here.

This recipe is seriously so easy and oh so yummy. While it's not the exact same flavors as the Quinoa Stuffed Avocado at Viva Chicken, it's probably just about as close as you can get. 

This meal was ideal. We were worn out after the Panthers game on Monday night (that loss was draining) and accidentally ended up taking an hour nap after work, whoops. I was pretty confident I didn't want to put any work into dinner. I used leftover quinoa from Monday's meal, shredded rotisserie chicken (on sale for $4.99 at Food Lion and will be reused for lunches this week as well as Thursday's dinner). Leftover red pepper and romaine lettuce came from the Chipotle Lime Carnitas salad I made last week.

The creaminess of the avocado, crunch of the peppers and lettuce, nutty flavor of the quinoa and the savory rotisserie chicken are the perfect combo. Topped with both Dijon Mustard and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, an unexpected but delicious addition.




Wednesday│ Oven Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings 



Original Recipe found at The Wicked Noodle

The recipe for these wings was PERFECT. The only thing I did differently was broil them on high for 3 minutes after I tossed them in butter and topped with the lemon pepper seasoning for a little extra crispiness. They were crunchy, flavorful and definitely paired well with an AppState football win! #GoNeers

I also swear by Marzetti's Classic Ranch dressing. I'm forever on the search for that "restaurant ranch" taste and for me, Hidden Valley just didn't cut it. It's usually found in the refrigerated section above the pre-made salad bags and runs for about $4. I chopped up carrots and celery at the beginning of the week with my usual prep, and ate the extras throughout the week for snacks.



Thursday│ Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai




Original Recipe found at Lexi's Clean Kitchen

I've never messed up Spaghetti Squash so bad in my life. End of story, no fluffing the truth. I tried to salvage it but it was literally straight mush... which apparently happens when you overcook it. Fortunately, I had some lo mein noodles in the pantry that became a (delicious) hero. 

Note to self: Don't be an overachiever. 
You can't workout while cooking and expect the oven to time itself.

Leftover rotisserie chicken (used Tuesday in the Stuffed Avocado and lunch on Thursday), some frozen shrimp, mixed veggies I had in the fridge, green onion from Monday's dinner, fresh limes/lime juice from last week and fried eggs (always have those). I didn't use the sauce mixture from Lexi's recipe but instead used a soy sauce/peanut butter/sriracha blend that was so simple to make and a little more flavorful that what I thought Lexi's would be. I actually think the leftovers for lunch the next day were better than fresh.



Friday│ Ru San's ... Yes, Again



Ru San's Menu

2 weeks ago we got the same exact rolls (minus one roll) in the same exact place with the same exact beers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! 

We hung with friends Sam & Jeremy for a double date night on the town. We call Sam & J our "adventure friends" because they're always down to do anything. Sushi? Okay. Whitewater center? For sure. Wiffle ball? Game on. Does it get any cooler than that? 

Ordered: Sea Salt Edamame with Ponzu Sauce, Rich and Famous Roll, Gladiator Roll, Mad Max Roll.




Next week will be a little different as we won't be grocery shopping for anything other than fruits, veggies and the essentials. Although meal planning definitely saves me time and money, it's not too conducive with the whole 'spontaneity' idea. I'll be creating meals with what we already have on hand since we're already planning on yoga, a soccer match (maybe) AND we're spending Thursday - Sunday celebrating my best friend's WEDDING! <3