Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Weekly Food Round-up │ Week of Oct 17

Hello, Week 4 of my Weekly Food Round-up! You sucked :) At least from a content standpoint, you still tasted delicious. 

My life is basically in shambles if I don't plan out food down to the snacks (really, there might be something wrong with me). We end up eating out, spending additional money on impromptu grocery runs and meals are unhealthier than normal. Ahem, see below. I'm ready to get back on track.

Find last week's meals here.
Find Week 2 meals here.
Find Week 1 meals here.






Week 4


Monday │Blackened Tilapia Bowls



Cocktails & Creatives Original Recipe 

This is one of my favorite get-it-on-the-table-quick meals. It's healthy, fresh & filling and you can completely customize the ingredients based on what you have available. Since I didn't really go grocery shopping this week (lots of after school activities, and by school I mean work) plus spending Thursday through Sunday celebrating my best friend's wedding, I'm basically cleaning shop. 

I always try to keep my fridge/freezer/pantry stocked with staples - frozen chicken & fish, frozen veggies, rice and pasta - and this week only bought fresh fruits and veggies to accompany. 

Oven baked (once frozen) blackened tilapia (a homemade seasoning of onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, paprika and cumin) served over boil-in-a-bag brown rice and topped with avocado, fresh limes, salsa, leftover fried tortilla strips from my White Chicken Chili and a Birdseye Protein Blends Southwest Style frozen mix (black beans, corn, red peppers, lentils in a southwest sauce). I also added Valentino hot sauce for an extra kick.  



Tuesday │ Gusto! Ballanytne



Gusto! Menu

I'm so indecisive when it comes to ordering food. I constantly face the battle of "Do I try something new or should I stick with what I know?". Hence why I think tapas are the greatest thing on Earth. A little bit of everything without consuming my daily calorie limit in one meal... usually.

This was our first time at Gusto! and to be honest, we were a little hesitant based on it's Yelp reviews. We read about poor service, food poisoning (gasp) and uneven proportions. But most importantly, we read more about fresh ingredients, tasty combinations, reasonable prices and outdoor seating.

Overall we were extremely impressed. The food was brought to us quickly, our server was attentive and helpful, we scarfed everything down and they even had a few of our favorite local beers on tap. There wasn't a single plate we didn't like and would definitely recommend Gusto! if you're looking for a tapas place in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte. 

Yummy apps + seeing the movie 'Sully' for $5... I'd say that's an impromptu date night done right.

Ordered; Meat Charcuterie Plate, Cheese Charcuterie Plate, Truffle Parmesan Fries, Shrimp Avocado Ceviche and Chorizo Stuffed Arrancini (not pictured). Triple C Brewery 'Baby Maker' IPA.



Wednesday│ Cantina 1511  



Photos via Cantina 1511 Yelp 

Cantina 1511 Menu

Cantina 1511 is one of our favorite Mexican places in Charlotte. My boyfriend, Kevin, and I always joke around that we're going to go on a Queso Quest to find the best melty cheese in town. As I'm writing this, I'm actually wondering why we haven't opened the polls yet. And by polls I mean why haven't I stuffed my face with queso twice a day until I find #1. 

While I'm not sure that Cantina is in fact #1, I do know that it's pretty dang close. We come here strictly because their queso is that good. We order other food too... sometimes.

If we're not at a Sushi place, you can find us at a Mexican restaurant.

Ordered; Five Cheese Queso Fundido with Chorizo, Chimichanga (top), Enchiladas Rojas (bottom), House Margaritas (on the rocks, no salt)



Thursday - Sunday│ Wedding Festivities!


Via Lindsey K Photography on Facebook

Not even sure when Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday went but I do know 5 things;

1) Jenna was the most beautiful bride. Like ever.
2) Her wedding apps had Shrimp & Grit Shooters as part of it.
3) Giving a Maid of Honor speech to 150 people makes me want to vomit.
4) My liver officially knows I'm not 21... or even 25... anymore.
5) More on these wedding weekend shenanigans later.



Unfortunately, next week is going to be a bit in shambles too from a food planning aspect. Kevin has double-header volleyball and hockey games, I have a craft night planned for another girlfriend's wedding (CAN'T WAIT, Danielle!), and we have weekend birthday celebrations planned for my bff, Sam, that include a Charlotte Checkers game, a Charlotte Hornets game AND a Carolina Panthers game all within 3 days. No wonder time is flying by ... we just have too much fun! :)