Monday, October 31, 2016

Weekly Food Round-up │Week of Oct 24

Y'all, things get crazy in the Fall. I don't know if it's the cooler weather, the Fall activities or all that damn sugar in Pumpkin Spice Lattes but there is ALWAYS something going on. 

Meal planning is SO hard when you're this social! Just kidding... kind of. 








This Week


Monday │ BBQ Chicken Spinach Wraps



Cocktails & Creatives Original Recipe 

I'm scraping bare minimums in the kitchen. I could go grocery shopping but I hate wasting food almost as much as I hate spiders. Almost. And that's year round, not just around Halloween. We have "going out" plans Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Wednesday was booked with craft night and sports games. Sundays aren't usually anything fancy anyway, so that left Monday and Tuesday's meals. I really didn't feel the need to spend money for two days worth of food. 

On a whim, I whipped up these wraps with frozen chicken (thawed in the microwave and then cooked in a skillet), one baby ear of frozen corn left in the freezer (boiled then stove-top charred), a can of black beans, shredded mozzarella cheese, Sweet Baby Ray's and Marzetti's Classic Ranch dressing (mixed) and mixed spinach, arugula and red cabbage greens rolled into a spinach tortilla. It seared the tortilla opening with olive oil in a skillet and served with leftover carrots from my Lemon Pepper Wings two weeks ago.

They were awesome! The corn was sweet but had the charred flavor, chicken was moist, lettuce was crisp and Sweet Baby Rays and/or Ranch on anything make it better.





Tuesday Pesto, Ricotta, Walnut Salmon



Original Recipe adapted from BuzzFeed

Frozen meat is the bomb.com. Sometimes I forget all that I have and when I go searching for goodies (like I am this week in lieu of no grocery shopping) I surprise myself at how much food I actually have on hand.

Whaddup unplanned fancy meal. Think I'll take you with a glass of Cab Sauv. 

Although I'm not a huge seafood person, I enjoy switching things up every now and then. Tilapia and Salmon are probably my two choices (if I had to pick) and since I just made tilapia last week for my Blackened Tilapia Bowls, I went with salmon. 

I alwayyys have jarred basil pesto in the fridge (I love the Classico brand!). I mixed that with ricotta cheese for a light and flavorful addition on top of the salmon and the nuttiness and crunch of the walnuts pulled it all together. For the side, I simply did oven roasted veggies  - frozen cauliflower, brussels sprouts and broccoli tossed in olive oil with balsamic glaze. 


Wednesday│ Nothing


I wish this was a joke but I kinda sorta accidentally skipped dinner. Which, like, never happens. But I was too busy crafting for my friend Danielle's wedding to eat the roasted butternut squash chili she made. It looked and smelled amazing though so I might steal her recipe one night to share with you guys. 

On the down side, I was starving when I woke up Thursday. On the up side, her 8 aisle signs look awesome.



Thursday│ Bakersfield East




via Bakersfield East on Yelp
Bakersfield East Menu

We spent Thursday night celebrating Sam's birthday at Bakersfield East in the Dilworth Area of Charlotte. It was the perfect birthday spot for a crowd of our size (we had 9 people). And I say it's the perfect birthday spot mostly because they made Sam take a tequila shot... which she hasn't done since college. She then proceeded to flick off the table.

Overall the food was okay - a little bit on the spicy side for me although nothing on the menu mentioned the spice level. Their queso on the other hand was to die for. Might make the top 3 on our Queso Quest list I mentioned last week. It was a base of gooey, flavorful cheeses with a top layer of so much broiled mozzarella that you literally had to cut it with a knife to scoop it. And I wasn't mad about it at all. In fact, I ate so many chips and so much queso I literally had one bite of each of the tacos and one bite of the tostada before I was officially stuffed.


House margs on the rocks, no salt, topped off a fun night with friends!  

Ordered; Chips & Queso, Chicken Chorizo Tostada, Pollo Rojo Taco, Bistec Taco.



Friday Sandwich Max


via Charlotte Agenda
Sandwich Max Menu

Friday was EPIC. I sent Homer - the mascot from the Charlotte MILB team, The Charlotte Knights - to surprise Kevin at his work. The Knights had a Halloween promotion running and for $45 Homer would bring someone a pumpkin, a bag of treats, 2 tickets to any weeknight home game and do a "spooky dance". I successfully embarrassed the crap out of Kevin but he was such a good sport about it. He even got up and danced with Homer! And yes, of course there's video evidence. More on that later! 

Since that pretty much kicked off the good weekend vibes (try being in a bad mood after your 30 year old boyfriend dances with a dragon mascot) we couldn't wait to join Sam & her husband Jeremy later that night for the Charlotte minor league hockey team (Charlotte Checkers) home opener. 

But first, dinner at a hole-in-the-wall sandwich shop in Elizabeth for some grubs. Kevin recommended this place and it was an awesome suggestion (and even suggested as the Best Sandwich Place in Charlotte by the Charlotte Agenda!) The guys that worked there were super personable, allowed us to basically customize anything and worked quickly. Everyone loved their order and Jeremy mostly loved the honey mustard they used... 

Zero food pics, tons of laughs, a few local beers and extended birthday celebrations. Not a bad Friday.

Ordered; Me: Pressed TCB - Turkey Cordon Blue, no mayo, sub bread for a spinach wrap. Kevin: Regular Pressed TCB.



I can't say anything other than I'm SO ready to get this meal-planning back on track. Like a true weirdo, I can't wait to grocery shop, prep and get this week started on the right, healthy, foot! I also can't wait to re-watch the video of Kevin dancing ...