Thursday, November 10, 2016

STYLING GUEST BATHROOM #1

I've had this idea in my head since we moved into the house for the main guest bathroom (bathroom 1 of 4) to be navy blue and silver. I really wanted a masculine look for this space and quite honestly felt pretty bad for girly-ing up the rest of the house with decorative flowers, purples, mushy framed pictures and everything else that keeps a house from turning into one big man cave. 

Fortunately Kevin is pretty go-with-the-flow when it comes to decorating. Neither one of us are interior designers, like not even close, but I think it's fair to say I'm one teeny, tiny, level above him. And that's mostly because I wouldn't let him hang the Carolina Panthers flag off the Venetian blinds in the dining room.


Back to the bathroom...

We found an inexpensive navy blue and gray chevron fabric shower curtain for the tub almost immediately after moving in. Styling the rest of the bathroom? Not so much. In time came coordinating towel sets and a soap dispenser but that's about as far as we got.

I attacked Pinterest for some inspiration and starting making a list of things to buy.  

This might be the first and last time I ever make a moodboard but I wanted to visualize my idea. It kind of looks like a kindergartner cut out some magazine clippings and stuck it on a piece of construction paper with Elmer's Glue, but I'm rolling with it. 




Basket │ Shelf │ Topiary Towels  Soap Dispenser




I am ridiculously frugal when it comes to decorating. I just can't bring myself to spend $20+ on some fake plant that's impossible to dust because it has a zillion leaves. I also don't want to spend $50 on a sign that my guests will see maybe once a month. I price check, budget shop and coupon clip to make sure that I'm getting the best deals, but it also has to be practical for our living style. 

WAIT! Do they make fake plants that are dishwasher safe?! If not, you heard it here first! 


Inspiration 


via My Fabuless Life

The space above the toilet is just SO weird. Do I leave it empty? (previous situation). Do I put extra toilet paper in some fancy pyramid? (current situation). Or should I spend some time decorating so people aren't sitting in a white-walled room that looks like it should be padded? Probably the latter. 

I loved the inspo from the bathroom on My Fabuless Life but just couldn't embrace the "hello gorgeous!" sign. Remember that whole whole masculine bathroom idea? Can't see this one going over well.


via AR Workshop


I wrote a post a few weeks ago on a DIY Handlettered Quote Canvas sign and knew that there must be a more fitting saying for the shelf... lightbulb! I was going to make something similar to this sign from AR Workshop but on one of the extra canvases I had from the previous project.

While I still have a LOT of work to do - making the sign, installing the shelf (buying the shelf - minor detail), etc -  I couldn't wait to share my inspiration and ideas. 



Can't wait to see how it turns out! Stay tuned ...