Monday, November 14, 2016

WEEKLY FOOD ROUND-UP │ WEEK OF NOV 7

I just want everyone to know that I ran a 5k on Friday night. I also head-first penguin slid into a dirt pile after tripping on a root in the woods. 

The 5k was a nighttime trail run at the Whitewater Center here in Charlotte. The course was on one of the mountain bike paths with a pretty rough terrain and zero lighting. We were running with headlamps and flashlights and let me just tell you that sweaty foreheads and headlamps are not an ideal combo. 

It was my first 5k since probably college (I'm not admitting how long ago that was) and will probably be my last. At least until my old lady hips recover. We I finished in just under 45 min - Kevin would have finished in like 20 if it wasn't for me - and finished 188th & 189th out of 254 people. He even let me cross the finish line first, what a guy!

Thankfully my culinary skills are better than my coordination.



Check out; 
Week 1 │ Week 2 │ Week 3 │ Week 4 │ Week 5 │ Week 6





Week 7


Monday│ Cabo Fish Taco



Cabo Fish Taco Menu

We were playing hooky on Monday since Kevin had a few guy friends in town and had stopped by Cabo for an early dinner. The 3pm weather was just perfect for the covered patio. We were happily & immediately seated (usually it's a 30+ min wait during busy times) and ordered IPAs.

Cabo Fish Taco is dubbed a Charlotte staple but I was a little under-impressed with the food this time around. Don't get me wrong, it's totally delicious, but the amount of sauce and spice really masked the flavors of the meat itself. I couldn't tell if I was eating shrimp or tuna! I'm definitely more of a simple kinda girl when it comes to taste, so maybe this was just something I wasn't used to eating. Next time I go I'll definitely order the sauce on the side! 

The IPAs were great...

Ordered; Pictured; BBQ Mahi Taco, Lemon Grilled Shrimp Taco, Slaw. Not Pictured; Tavarua Tuna TacoHoney Soy Glazed Salmon Taco, Avocado Pasta Salad, Queso. Triple C Brewery IPA.


Tuesday │ Homemade Primanti Bros



Recipe inspiration from Primanti Bros.

If you haven't been to Pittsburgh, PA for a classic roast beef sandwich from Primantis, GO NOW. BYE. I won't even be mad at you for not reading the rest of this post. In fact, if I could eat this deliciousness every day of my life and not gain 100 lbs, I totally would. 

Surprise though, it's Tuesday and I'd make it to Pittsburgh and back just in time for it to be Wednesday. And some of us work on Wednesday's which is why I'm eternally grateful that my mom created a near perfect replica only 15 miles away from my front door. 

There are french fries on this sandwich. And coleslaw. And cheese. And rare roast beef. And ah, I'm drooling just thinking about it. And that's a lot of and's.

We don't make these as often as I wish but it was fun celebrating my older brother's birthday (early) and being glutenous for a night. As much as I want to share this recipe with everyone, I literally think my mother might kill me. And I don't want to die because then I can't eat any more of these sandwiches.


WednesdayThai Chicken Lettuce Wraps



Original Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy

Somehow I made this dinner AND cleaned up in a total of 30 minutes. It might have been because it's been a really rough week for me and I was on auto-pilot, but it might also mean I will be breaking my "don't repeat meals" rule. I like to call it a "time-efficient yum".

I used the leftover romaine leaves from the Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps and the green onions from the Skinny Burrito Bowl I made last week. I purchased 1lb of ground chicken from Food Lion for $2.99 on sale and scooped another pound to stick in the freezer for another meal later. Red pepper, matchstick carrots and peanuts (already on hand) added to the crunch. 

We scarfed these down in less time than it took to make them. Somehow Kevin lucked out and got the leftovers for lunch...


Thursday│ Charcuterie Meat & Cheese Plates



Cocktails & Creatives Original Recipe

Kevin and I have been wanting to make this dinner - is it safe to say this is dinner? - since forever. I also haven't been able to pronounce Charcuterie since, well, forever. I probably spent about $50 total on just this meal (including wine), but it was 100% worth it. 

As Kevin says; "You can't put a price tag on memories!"   

On our plates were; 

Meats - Prosciutto, Hard Salami, local salami from the Farmer's Market
Cheese - Manchego, Brie, Sharp Cheddar, Goat, Chipotle Havarti
Miscellaneous - Grapes, Almonds, Apples, Sweet Gherkin Pickles
Toppings - Hot Honey, Red Raspberry Jam, Stone Ground Mustard, Red Pepper Hummus, Regular Honey
Breads - Multi-Grain Crackers, Toasted Garlic Bagel Crisps, Honey Brown Bread, Honey Graham Crackers
Wine - Alamos Cabernet Sauvignon, Tom Gore Cabernet Sauvignon



Friday 1/2 Banana, Hershey's Chocolate & Jam Sessions



Post race recovery at it's finest. Since the 5k was a nighttime run, the Whitewater Center had some cool evening festivities planned for afterwards. Glow sticks, music, s'mores and NoDa Jam Session beers were all provided after finishing. 

Kevin and I snagged a piece of chocolate, 1/2 banana and nearly chugged the first half of our beers. Don't they always taste better after you did something to earn it? With temperatures dropping into the mid-30s that night our sweat quickly turned cold and we ran stiffly walked to the car. Side note: I'm so thankful for butt-warmers #ToastedBuns

We also popped a frozen pizza into the oven later and may or may not have set up our Christmas decorations. Don't judge. At least I haven't started playing the music yet.

Onto the weekend! 


Although it was a pretty tough week - work/home balance, getting back into the swing of things, having company over during a weekday and dreading the 5k, we still managed to still eat like pros. Can't wait to share next week... and hopefully by then my legs will have returned to normal.