Wednesday, December 21, 2016

DIY CHRISTMAS CARD DISPLAY

Kevin & I spent this past weekend in Raleigh, NC. On Saturday we caught a Carolina Hurricanes (NHL) game, visited the coolest arcade bar known to man, made pasta in a cast iron skillet at 3am and crashed (hard) at 5am Sunday morning. We also scored some awesome center court tickets to the NC State Basketball game at 2pm on Sunday, but I don't think my eyes were even open for most of it.

I'm so, so, sorry, liver. I'm detoxing all week.





I'll spare you more complaining and just skip to the part where I say being home and in my own bed is the best feeling in the whole world after a night of drinking. 

Actually, being home in general is just my favorite. Not being at our HOUSE, but being HOME. There's a difference.

Which is why I wanted to share this DIY Christmas Card holder because right now our HOME is featuring a ton of cards and pictures of our favorite people and I think yours should too.




This is a really simple project that took me all of five minutes. Okay, it was 10 minutes because apparently I don't tie knots well and the whole thing fell down. #Re-do

First things first, make a dollar store run. You might already have these things on hand but, for once, I didn't. Pick up a pack of clothespins, a red & white rope, some foam paint brushes and a couple jingle-belled sparkly reindeer ... because, well, jingle-belled sparkly reindeer.

Does anyone else always seem to have random command strips around? Like, I can't actually remember buying any but definitely found a baggie of 2 and knew they'd work perfectly for this project. 



Begin by attaching one of the command strips horizontally (instead of the normal vertical hook hang) to the top of the door so that the open part of the hook is facing toward the middle of the door.

Take one end of the rope and tie a simple knot to form a loop. Take the loop and put it onto the command hook.




Start wrapping your rope around the door in any pattern you choose (Hint: It helps if you leave the door cracked so you can feed the rope in between the door and the door frame).

Once you're done wrapping, secure the end of the rope to a second command strip and rope loop combination towards the bottom of the door.

The fun part about this project is that it doesn't have to be perfect! I made ours completely abstract by crossing the rope over itself, putting two strings close to each other and others further apart. You can experiment with the layout as much as you want before you attach the second command strip. 



Optional: Before attaching your cards to the rope with the clothespins, paint them fun Christmas colors! I used the foam brushes you can pick up at the dollar store and craft smart acrylic paint I had on hand in Red, Silver and Gold. Easy spruce up!

I chose to use our pantry door in the kitchen for this project because 1) I'm always in the kitchen and 2) I'm always in the kitchen. I literally get to see these smiling, joyous faces every day and I just love adding more and more cards (since I took these pictures we've now added an additional 8).

We accept cards from strangers too... just in case you have any extras from this year's order :)

_________________________________________________________


DIY CHRISTMAS CARD DISPLAY



Materials 


1 50ft Poly Rope
1 package of Clothespins (36 count)
Miscellaneous Decorations 
Command Strips 
Foam Brush (optional)
Red, Green, Silver, Gold Paint (optional)

Instructions


First, attach one of the command strips horizontally to the top of the door, hook facing towards the middle.

Tie a simple knot on one end of the rope to form a loop. Take the loop and put it onto the command hook.

Wrap the rope around the door in a design you like and when you're done wrapping, secure the end of the rope to a second command strip and rope loop combination towards the bottom of the door. 

Optional: Before attaching your cards to the rope with the clothespins, paint them fun Christmas colors.

Hang cards using clothespins and enjoy!

_________________________________________________________




_______________________________________



My Materials

Paint; craft smart │ Foam Brush; ArtMinds 

Clothespins; Essentials │ Poly Rope; Tool Bench Hardware



_______________________________________




It really made me smile going to friends/family's houses and seeing our Christmas card on their fridge or displayed somewhere in their house. But then I second guessed myself and wondered why I even paid for a stamp in the first place if we were going to be in their house before Christmas anyway.  That was really my deep thought of the day and probably the deepest thought I'll have all week since I'm officially in the Christmas spirit. T-minus 4 days!