Thursday, January 05, 2017

10 RESOLUTIONS FOR 2017


It's 5 days into January but better late than never on resolutions, right? Good thing one of mine isn't punctuality.

To be completely honest, it was pretty challenging coming up with a list of 10 resolutions. The first 5 were a breeze but I really wanted to put some thought into the remaining 5. For me, resolutions are more than just a list of things I'll forget about in a week and more than just writing them down to say I wrote them down. In 2016, not only did I reach all my goals but I began incorporating them into my everyday life and I think that those positive habits can extend (and multiply) into 2017.




For my 2016 Year in Review, click here.



Face My Fears | Except spiders. Because I just can't, I'll die. I want to head-first tackle things like fear of failure (ie: trying a recipe with unfamiliar ingredients/methods or taking on a new task at work) and fear of the unknown (I don't always need to be in control of the next step).

Improve My Blogging Presence | I'm really looking forward to taking my blog to the next level in 2017. That may mean from a financial standpoint, improving content, or even teaming with sponsors. I also want to work on driving traffic from social media platforms. My boyfriend, Kevin (have I told you guys how awesome he is??), got me a Cannon DSLR for Christmas and I can't wait to step up my photography too! 

Play More | I'm sure as hell not getting any younger so why not enjoy it while I can. Is it creepy if I go to a playground without having any children? Do they rent kids to take to Pixar movies? No? Okay, just wondering. #StillGoing

Increase My Confidence | I mean this in both a personal and professional manner. Often times I find myself second guessing if I'm "good enough", if I "look okay". I want to work towards the mentality that I AM capable, I AM strong and I AM good enough.

Get Organized | Those of you that know me are probably rolling your eyes because you already know that all my craft supplies are in Rubbermaid containers with labels on them. And you also know that my linen closet is also labeled with handwritten tags and that all my towels are folded the same way... and color coded. Although that may appear (overly) organized, it's really just an organized mess. Said craft supply containers are in a room that looks like a bomb went off. My bin of miscellaneous tools, screws and command strips is in a closet next to a suitcase full of junk. This year I want to find a proper place for things! This may even mean working on a new office/craft room, we'll see.

Volunteer | A huge goal for me this year is going to be volunteering my time. Last year I was able to donate a small amount of money as my way of giving back, but often times we realize that time is truly more valuable than money. I'll be looking into local Charlotte organizations to see how I can become involved in the community.

Increase My Skills | Not to brag, but I like to think I'm pretty handy when it comes to household stuff. Just yesterday the vacuum stopped working so I had to take it apart and when I did, I realized the belt was broken. I also just want you know that I successfully put it back together, which in reality is the hardest part. However, I still have so many things I could learn when it comes hands-on skills. Maybe furniture building? Maybe how to change a tire?

Spread Positivity  |  I can't stress enough the importance of this one to me. There is an overwhelming amout of negativity that surrounds us on a daily basis - everything from the media to people's attitudes - and in 2017 I will 110% strive to be on the positive side of things. Everyone has something to complain about, but why not go against the grain? Someone a few years ago once said to me, "Are you ever not smiling?" (I immediately thought about the movie 'Elf', "I love smiling, smiling's my favorite!") but in reality it was the one of the greatest compliments knowing that my positive attitude was that contagious. I want to bring that back.

Settle In | Since moving into our home in August we have made an ever-growing list of projects we want to complete; an entryway table, built-in shelves in the library, a table for our vinyls, towel rods in the bathrooms... it goes on and on. In 2017, I want to really settle in and stop worrying about what "work" we have to do next. I want to be able to sit on the couch, watch a movie with my boyfriend, eat some popcorn and not worry about what needs to be done. Except laundry - that's infinite.

Make Moves | AKA stop freaking procrastinating. I've needed to replace the vacuum filters for like 3 months... probably why the belt broke. I've been meaning to go to the eye doctor and try out contacts, yet I've been wearing the same frames for 5 years and still squint when I drive. I know things need to be done yet I put them off and end up stressing over small stuff. In 2017, I'll work to get things done when they need to get done. I think it'll help in the long run.




Where do you see yourself in 2017? Are you someone that sets weekly, monthly, yearly goals? Do you set goals at all? Bring it on, 2017.