Thursday, January 19, 2017

LOFT MAKEOVER PLANS UPDATE: WEEK 1.5


Wow, this week and a half has completely flown by! I feel like I'm already falling behind and running into obstacles. This week had been more of the planning, pricing and measuring aspects so hopefully next week things will really start to come together visually. 

I shared my loft makeover plans and mood board with you last week but, in case you missed it, I chose this as my first big project of 2017 for a couple reasons;

  • I had no idea what to do with the awkward space. It was being used as a yoga studio/workout room/place where the dog lies when we're not home. 
  • Every chance I had to work from home, I found myself sitting at our kitchen counter on a bar stool... which also means I was staring at the fridge.
  • I swore in my 2017 resolutions I'd get organized.

I really wanted to make this area of our home something functional, attractive and clean so I'm hoping these mood boards will give you a sense of my direction!


 

PROGRESS


So far I've ordered and received the 8-cube organizer from Amazon and I love the look of it! It was a relatively decent price but why are these things so dang expensive?! It didn't take too long to put together (maybe 20 minutes) but I am going to build some risers/add legs to lift it off the floor a bit. It's too short for the look I'm going for and that, unfortunately, will add to the total cost.

8-cube Organizer from Amazon: $52

I scooped the desk lamp (that you see in my plans above) from Amazon too. It's a gold finish with 6 dimming settings, 3 color temperature options, a USB port and it's completely foldable. This was a huge steal as the original price was $80.  

Gold Desk Lamp from Amazon: $20

I've purchased 3 assorted-sized wooden boxes from Michaels that are dark brown with rope handles and chalkboard labels. I can't find these listed online, but I linked similar ones here that can be stained and/or painted. The boxes were 50% off in-store, plus I had 20% off entire purchase (including sale items) and a coupon for 40% off one regular price item. The boxes, along with some chalkboard labels for the desk and white planter base, came home with me.

Wooden Boxes & Misc. Organization from Michaels: $28

I bought some miscellaneous decor from Burlington Coat Factory (my hidden gem, I find SO many things here!); a gold dipped candle holder, an adorable golden owl figurine, the softest golden speckled blanket and a handlettered pillow to go on the desk chair. 

Misc. Decor Items from Burlington: $15

I also purchased this huge (and freaking awesome) black and tan Brooklyn Bridge canvas print that I think is going to look amazing mounted above the cube organizer. Unfortunately, I can't find a similar product to link, but it totally makes sense because I don't think it's real life that I got it for so cheap anyway, #winning.

Bridge Canvas from Burlington: $25




TOTAL REMAINING IN BUDGET: 
$200 - $140 = $60.00 = ALYSSA WAS WAYYY OVERCONFIDENT 




LEFT TO DO 


I still need to complete the entire desk portion of the room. One of my main obstacles so far has been trying to recreate the desk I used in my mood board. My original idea was to use two file cabinets as the end pieces, but to be completely honest, I had no idea how expensive they were. The cheapest I could find was $42 per cabinet at Walmart (which makes things tough seeing as how I have $60 TOTAL left to spend). I'm still working on the best option here and might call in my handy-dandy Dad for reinforcements (aka his woodworking skills & wood).

Next, I need something to sit on at said desk. Enough said.

I need to make the Gateway cover (to hide the ugly black, blinking Wi-Fi box!) and I'll be sharing this tutorial in the near future as well.

Desk organization items are still on the list too. I can DIY most of these (think old cardboard boxes + spray paint) and I have a really cool idea for a wall organizer using an old cookie sheet which I'll share later.

Styling, hanging the canvas and finalizing details will be last. 


Stay tuned for more updates as I head into the new week! This has already been a challenge staying within my budget but it's creative crunch time. Let's go!