Wednesday, January 04, 2017

YEAR IN REVIEW │ 2016


I started last year with a blog post highlighting 10 resolutions I wanted to reach in 2016.  To be honest, I never thought that all of them were truly obtainable, more like they were kind of just a "guide" for forming better habits. But now, as I start 2017, I couldn't be happier to share that I successfully accomplished each and every little thing I had mentioned.

Although this is super wordy and isn't exactly filled with helpful information, bear with me because I think that reflection is one of the best ways to grow in both a business and personal aspect. Have you set goals for this year?



If you want to see my 2016 detailed resolutions click here.
For a 1-month resolution update, go here

To find out how I ended the year in regard to my goals, keep reading!  


Learn Something New 


I learned how to;
Make a basket from scratch using materials directly from China (literally, our teacher ordered them from her sister).
Roll my own sushi. 
Handletter.
Code in HTML so I could improve the appearance of my blog.


Read More


I finished reading;
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
A Million Little Pieces - James Frey
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling 
All The Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy

Adventure


I visited (this is just outside of Charlotte!);
South Mountain State Park, NC (x2)
Charlottesville, VA (x3)
Asheville, NC
Grandfather Mountain, NC
Brevard, NC
Boone, NC (x3)
DuPont State Forest, NC 
Gorges State Park, NC 
Pittsburgh, PA
Raleigh, NC
Atlanta, GA
Chimney Rock, NC
Galax, VA
Ocean City, MD
Edisto Island, SC
Orlando, FL
Savannah, GA
Hilton Head, SC

Keep In Touch


I spent way more time with my family, and not just on a Holiday.
Kevin & I sent out Christmas card photos to all our friends and family.
I mailed handwritten Thank-you's and Birthday Cards.


Be Present


Aside from taking a million pictures, I stopped looking at my phone every 10 minutes and stopped checking in on Facebook everywhere I went. We intentionally went places without cell phone service and left them in the car on adventures.


Take Risks


I let Kevin plan an entire trip without me knowing a single detail. We do still joke around though because somehow I was still more prepared than he was. I guess some things will never change!

I moved out of my townhouse of 3 years and moved in with Kevin after knowing him for less than a year. I don't think I could be any happier with our decision and every day we grow closer.

Purge


I got rid a toxic relationship.
I seriously deep cleaned during my move from the townhouse.
I got rid of junk, old clothes, worn out shoes and stuff I didn't need.
I let go of a lot of negativity and negative people.


Give Back


I started a (small) monthly donation to St. Jude Children's Hospital in hopes that my little bit means a lot. 


Save 


I was able to pay off half of my credit card from college/post graduation. 
I'm 75% through one student loan and working towards the other. 


Don't Forget About Me


I took baths.
I went on solo trips.
I got manis & pedis.
I found time to workout (and even tried Pure Barre for a few months!)


Ask For Help


I'm just gonna leave this here and say that I probably drive Kevin up the wall asking for help. Last year I was Miss I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T (do you know what that mean?) and this year I'm all like "Kev, can you change the smoke detector batteries?" "Babe, can you take this upstairs?" "Hey when you get a chance can you ....". Thanks, handsome!

Tons of friends and family have helped watch the pup, Boone, when we're out of town. Especially on short weekend trips it puts us at ease and saves us money from having to board him!




I still can't believe that I reached every single one of my goals. And while 2016 was one heck of a wild, accomplishment filled ride, I know that this year is going to be even better (if that's even possible). I'm looking forward to sharing my resolutions for 2017 with you in my next post! Happy New Year!