Monday, May 15, 2017

LET IT GROW, LET IT GROW


Definitely a "Frozen" knockoff blog post title. Anyone start singing as they read it?

Good news is it's not frozen, in fact Charlotte temps are starting to reach the mid-90's and I'm kinda cringing but kinda loving the summer activities that are starting.

On another note, I love when I start to think I'm ahead of the game in my week and then I blink and it's gone. Which, cool, makes for a super fast work week but it also means that I still have a million and one things to do and not enough time to do them. Like all those summer activities I had in mind.

Things are crazy for Kevin and I lately. Between work travel, fun travel (can't wait for Hangout Fest in Gulf Shores, AL!) and two graduations, we're hardly home in the next 5 weeks.

I have some serious planning to do... like um, a WEDDING... but more on that later.


But back to this 'Un-Frozen' weather because about a week and a half ago I wrote a blog post on something new I was trying (in all my spare time) and told you that my thumb is every color but green. I wanted to quickly circle back on how the garden is progressing and honestly just wanted to brag because I haven't killed these things yet!

IT'S GROWING. IT'S REALLY, REALLY GROWING.

But, like most things I do, I can't take all the credit.

Last week Kevin and I took a "Gardening Beginners" class with one of the amazing startup companies here in Charlotte, SkillPop. SkillPop is a small class-sized, hands-on learning experience that sharpens your skills on everything from Handlettering, to Car Maintenance, to Hip-Hop Dance and even, you guessed it, gardening.

We visited a local store and greenhouse called Renfrow Hardware, a part of Renfrow Farms in Matthews, NC, and got an experts low-down on soil composition, the gardener's almanac and rules to follow.

It definitely would have been more beneficial for Kevin and I to take this class prior to doing our garden, but my research told me the best planting season was mid-April. Because everything you read on the internet is legit, obviously.


Which brings me to my next point, things we've learned so far;

1│ Don't over water your plants. They'll tell you when they're thirsty (think drooping leaves).

2│ Don't overcrowd your garden bed. This is one we really wish we knew before planting because our zucchini plant is now HUGE (I took these pictures prior to it's growth spurt apparently) and I'm considering re-potting to it's own container.

3 │ Don't use Miracle-Gro or any other "sugar" grower. Apparently these additives are like candy bars to kids; they get really hyper really quickly and then crash.

4 │ BE PATIENT. Things don't grow overnight.




Now that you've seen our little green babies getting bigger and healthier, I'll be sharing some of my recent recipes that have incorporated the fresh herbs from the garden. Right now, it's the only thing that's ready-to-eat, but we do have two baby tomatoes on our vines now! Mmm, can't wait!